If you want happier and healthier employees, the intersection of Human Resources Management and Leadership is a good place to start. A well-intentioned HR strategy for employee well-being must be matched by engaging leadership.
HR strategies for well-being are strengthened by leaders who are able to inspire, build, and connect at the individual and group levels. In unison, these strategies can have a positive effect by reducing the negative impact of burnout and workplace stress.
Coherent HR strategies and engaging leadership create a positive environment where workplace meaning can flourish. This also helps retain employees and deepen engagement.
Recent research suggests valuing employees through decision-making that is participatory. Additionally, build employee self-efficacy through training, coaching, and information sharing. In doing so, you create opportunities for mutual gains to be viewed as win-win situations.
The Meaning-Centered Leadership frame-work provides a lens for achieving the HR/Leadership connection for well-being.
- Strengthen teams by developing leaders who possess a pro-social orientation
- Create Normative Expectations for Caring
- Create Trusting teams and focus on team building
- Have employees create goals related to an inspirational vision
- Leverage coaching and training
- Develop a Coherent Well-Being HR management plan
- Focus on Ethical Leadership
- Enhance mentorship
- Focus on knowledge building and leaders who willingly share knowledge